Business Legal Plan
Identity Theft Program
Niche Legal Plans
Estate Legal Plan
In The News
Proud Partner of:
Legal Care Direct™
Family Protection Plan
Did you know that every year 1 in 2 families will require the services of an attorney? In many instances, legal issues are precipitated by other personal and professional challenges in one’s life. Mounting debt, tax season, substance abuse, stress on the job, or a personal crisis may be the catalyst for legal assistance. To help address these multiple needs, Legal Care Direct™ (LCD) created the Family Protection Plan. The plan provides members with access to a network of pre-qualified professionals in each of the following disciplines:
Tax Preparation & Advice
Financial Education & Credit Counseling
Identity Theft Solutions
Legal Care Direct’s Family Legal Plan anchors the Family Protection Plan. Legal Care Direct™ is a discount legal referral service with a nationwide network of plan attorneys who provide free and discounted legal care for over 1 million families. Membership includes you, your spouse or domestic partner, dependent children under the age of 25, and any dependents that may be living with you such as a parent or grandparent.
Free Legal Services:*
The following nine (9) services are available at no charge.
- Initial phone consultation for each new legal matter (no time limit)
- Initial face-to-face consultations for each new legal matter (no
- Review of independent legal documents (6 page maximum per document,
no limit to the number of new independent documents)
- Plan attorneys will prepare a free Simple Will for you and your family,
as well as update the Will annually for free. (See definition of Simple
Will in Section 3 of the Plan Guidebook). Alternatively, members have access to a more comprehensive and customized web based Simple Will
- A state specific, web based, free Living Will form is available to
Members. This form can be notarized by a Notary Public.
- Plan attorneys will help Members represent themselves in small claims
- Assistance in solving problems with government programs, such as
INS and welfare
- When deemed appropriate by your plan attorney, he or she will write
letters on your behalf (one letter per legal matter, with no limit on
the number of new legal matters)
- When deemed appropriate by your plan attorney, he or she will make
phone calls on your behalf (one phone call per legal matter, with no
limit on the number of new legal matters)
*In certain situations, attorney liability may require plan attorneys to ask for a retainer from the member
prior to providing some of the free Legal Services.
Deeply Discounted Legal Services:**
The following are eight (8) commonly used legal services for which plan
attorneys have agreed to charge a one-time, deeply discounted fee.
Traffic Ticket Defense
Simple Will with Minors Trust
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
Personal Real Estate Closing
**Court costs, filing fees and time charged for travel to and from courts are additional.
Detailed Legal Services definitions can be found in Section three (3) of the Legal Care Direct™ Plan Guidebook.
Guaranteed Low Hourly Rates:
Plan attorneys have contracted to charge no more than $125.00 per hour, or 40% off their usual and customary hourly rate, whichever is greater, for legal care that goes beyond the free and discounted services described above.
In the case of extended legal care, plan attorneys may ask you for a retainer. Any retainer sought will be computed by multiplying the number of hours a plan attorney believes a case will take, by the appropriate discounted hourly plan rate. For instance: 10 hours x $125.00 = a retainer of $1,250.00. Any unused portion of the retainer will be returned to the member
Contingency Fee Discounts:
The contingency fee discount will be a 10% reduction of the state maximum rate or the attorney's usual rate, whichever is lower.
Tax Preparation & Advice
The Family Protection Plan provides comprehensive personal tax benefits
including free tax return preparation and unlimited, toll-free, tax related
advice during normal business hours. Additionally, you will have access
to most commonly used tax related schedules free of charge or at a significantly
Tax Related Benefits:
- Unlimited advice for personal and business matters on federal taxation via toll-free phone call/fax/e-mail (no time or frequency limitations)
- Free mail-in tax return preparation (includes 1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040)*
- Receive a discount off of tax returns prepared by H & R Block®
- Discounted preparation of all schedules that accompany the form 1040*
- IRS audit assistance
- Tax professionals will review any notice or letter issued by the IRS and provide advice on how to understand and solve the matter.
- Access to a web-based IRS audit tutorial, as well as an IRS notification tutorial.
- IRS notification assistance
- Tax planning
- Review of prior year's tax return*
- Member portal with tax tips, tax law changes, tax organization area, IRS audit area, IRS notification area and member advice on-line
All tax and financial assistance is provided by tax attorneys, financial
analysts, CPA's, former auditors and/or Enrolled Agents certified by
the IRS. Additionally, all tax and financial advice is backed by a $1
million liability policy.
* Limit one (1) per household.
** For new H&R Block clients only. A new client is a person who did not use H&R Block offices services to prepare their prior year return. Not valid on federal form 1040EZ and related forms. Valid only at participating US offices. Void if sold, purchased or transferred, and where prohibited. Offer must be presented prior to completion of initial tax office interview and may not be combined with any other offer, discount or special promotion or pricing program. Valid only for tax prep fees for an original personal income tax return. © 2009 HRB Tax Group, Inc.
Financial Education & Credit Counseling
This component of the Family Protection Plan provides you and your family
with personalized financial and credit counseling services 24/7, 365 days
per year. We provide access to counseling and financial education through
a variety of delivery methods including telephone, online tools and live
Whether you are renting or buying a home, having problems with debt,
or setting up a trust, this financial education program is designed to
provide you and your family with the tools necessary to make better financial
decisions. Personal financial guidance and education is provided by over
1,000 experienced financial counselors.
The following is an outline of the free services included with this program:
- Free Consultations
A complete financial assessment will include a review and analysis of
your household income, expenses, assets and liabilities.
- Credit & Debt Counseling by Certified Credit Counselors
A credit counselor takes the time to thoroughly understand and assess
current credit and debt issues. They will:
- Assist in creating a livable budget to balance income and expenses
- Provide specific advice on how to deal with creditors
- Offer money management and budgeting techniques to help gain control
- Develop a comprehensive spending plan
- Create an action plan to become debt free
- “Ask Susan” Online Counseling Sessions
A unique opportunity to receive a personalized response to questions
on subjects such as loans, budgeting, credit reporting, collections,
dealing with debt, and much more. Email your questions to receive a
personal response on these and other financial subjects.
- Housing Advisory Services
- Advice covering first time homeownership, affordable mortgages and
- Post purchase counseling
- Reverse mortgages – what are they and how do they work
- Online Tools & Articles
Access online articles designed to inform, assist, educate and alert
you in all areas of credit, money management and how to get help.
- Online tools for budgeting
- Articles designed to help make smart financial decisions
- Articles designed to help with family financial and purchasing decisions
- Hotlinks to a wide variety of consumer resources on topics such
as lending, credit reports, credit cards and vehicle purchasing and
- Easy-to-use online calculators to help get finances back on track.
Calculators are available to help with budgeting, and vehicle and
- Tests and quizzes to gain a better understanding of how to improve
money management skills
- Money Choices
Five private self-paced courses, presented by Visa, that teach the skills
needed for smart money management.
Our unique identity theft solution provides you with all the components
necessary to restore your identity, and prevent future incidences of identity
theft. All work done on your behalf is performed by qualified paralegals.
Our program takes a completely hands on approach to identity theft restoration.
You will have 24/7, 365 days per year access to Identity Theft Restoration
Advocates who will provide you with comprehensive, personalized recovery
Identity Theft Insurance*:
You will also receive up to $25,000 worth of identity theft insurance
coverage underwritten by a nationally recognized Insurance Carrier with
an “A” or better AM Best Rating. This coverage will help offset
some of the cost of restoring your identity to its original status including:
- Lost wages: $500.00 per week, for 4 weeks maximum
- Re-filing of loans
- Defense cost for certain civil & criminal law suits
- Reimbursement of fees: Reasonable and necessary costs incurred in
the United States by the insured for:
- Re-filing applications for loans, grants or other credit instruments
that are rejected solely as a result of a stolen identity incident
- Notarizing affidavits or other similar documents, long distance
telephone calls and postage solely as a result of the insured's efforts
to report a stolen identity incident and/or amend or rectify records
as to the insured's true name or identity as a result of a stolen identity
- Up to six credit reports from established credit bureaus (with no
more than two reports from any one credit bureau) dated within 12 months
after the insured's discovery of a stolen identity incident.
* The description herein is a summary only. It does not include all terms, conditions and exlusions of the policy described. Please refer to the actual policy for complete details of coverage and exclusions. Coverage not available to residents of New York and may not be available in other jurisdictions. Insurance coverage is limited only to the member.
Identity Theft Restoration:
Upon notification of an identity theft incident, Privacy Advocates will act on behalf of our members as a dedicated case manager to:
- Investigate and confirm the fraudulent activity, including known, unknown and potentially complicated additional sources of identity theft.
- Complete and mail customized, pre-populated, state specific "Fraud Packet" via certified mail with pre-paid return instructions.
- Place phone calls, send electronic notifications, and prepare appropriate documentation on the member’s behalf, including dispute letters for defensible complaints to any and all appropriate state agencies and financial institutions.
- Issue fraud alerts and victim statements when necessary, with the three consumer credit reporting agencies, the FTC, SSA, and U.S. Postal Service.
- Submit Special Limited Power of Attorney and ID Theft Affidavit to involved creditors for card cancellation and new card issuance.
- Contact, follow up and escalate issues with affected agencies, creditors, financial institutions, to reinforce member’s rights.
- Assist the member in notifying local law enforcement authorities to file the appropriate official reports.
- Utilize real time access to public records reports including DMV, criminal, address changes, liens, and judgments for further investigation where applicable.
- Provide peace of mind and resolution of key issues from start to finish as swiftly as possible.
- Provide members with a "Case Completion Kit" including copies of documentation, correspondence, forms and letters for their personal records.
Lost or Stolen Credit Card Assistance / Document Recovery Services:
Privacy Advocates will assist members in the event their credit cards are misplaced or stolen.
Privacy Advocates will:
- Consult with member to determine the severity of the event
- Obtain credit reports from each of the three major credit
- Contact each credit card company or other financial institution with the member via teleconference.
- Cancel members affected credit cards
- Request new replacement cards
- Place fraud alerts with all three major credit bureaus
- Assist members with interpreting their credit reports
- Provide daily ID monitoring for six months to help proactively prevent any additional identity fraud
- Provide credit dispute assistance
- Assist with additional lost items including driver’s license, library, and other membership cards.
Identity Monitoring searches and monitors for past history as well as real time identity frauds or threats. This service includes:
- Secure, hassle-free identity monitoring
- Actionable identity alerts
Our Identity Monitoring does much more than monitor credit, offering a solution as robust as the ones used by the nation’s leading financial institutions to prevent theft. Identity Monitoring uses innovative technology to detect misuse or even an elevated likelihood for misuse of an individual’s Social Security number, name, address, phone, and date of birth. By creating a SNAPD identity blueprint, this program monitors billions of data on a daily basis from sources such as:
- New Credit Cards
- Wireless Carrier Applications
- Retail Credit Card Accounts
- Automobile Loans
- Mortgage Loans
- Payday Loans
- Checking Accounts and Check Reorders
- Utility Accounts
- DMV Records
- Government Databases
- Real Estate Records
- Court Records
- Criminal Records
- Social Security Records
** Identity Monitoring coverage is limited only to the member.
As identity fraud usually precedes identity theft, this type of proactive system is critical to mitigating the extensive and expensive damage perpetrated after an identity is stolen and manipulated.
Keylogging Defense System™:
Our unique program is the only one in the country that provides you with a software tool that helps prevent identity theft.
Keyloggers are self propagating viruses that steal your keystrokes, and the information contained, as you navigate the Internet. Our Keylogging Defense System™ helps proactively prevent online identity theft by encrypting every keystroke at the keyboard level and then reroutes those encrypted keystrokes directly to your Internet browser. Our Keylogging Defense System™ bypasses the multiple communication areas that are normally vulnerable to keylogging attacks that could compromise your vital information.
With our defense system, members can now browse, access critical business applications, shop and bank online with confidence knowing that each and every keystroke is encrypted and not being transmitted to an awaiting Identity Thief.
LifeEvents™ Telephonic Counseling
You and your family will have toll free access to behavioral health experts
24/7, 365 days a year. All calls are answered directly by licensed, degreed
clinical staff, and all services are handled with complete confidentiality.
LifeEvents™ provides you and your family with telephonic counseling
for marital, parent-child, substance abuse, emotional, legal/financial,
childcare, and eldercare problems, as well as many other personal challenges
or stresses. You and your family are entitled to unlimited telephonic
counseling per episode.
All groups or individuals interested in working with Legal Care Direct™ as a distributor, wholesaler or purchaser of large quantities of our programs
should contact Legal Care Direct™. A list of contacts can be found
by clicking HERE.